Although the majority of people don’t pay too much attention to this detail, the fact is that for many users, their Windows 10 account name is a major security issue, especially for those who are using their real names and don’t want them to be publically available. In other words, many of you want them changed before everybody else can see them.
Also, many of you want to update it because, for instance, you have married and changed your real name, or you simply want to change it without any special reason, just because you do.
It doesn’t matter what the agenda behind it is – the fact is that you can do it in a few ways, and here are the most common ones.
How to Change Account Name on Windows 10
One of the easiest ways you can change your Windows 10 account name is through Control Panel:
- This approach demands that you first enter it, by typing “Control panel” in the Windows 10 “Search box”,
and when it appears in the results, click on it.
- When its window appears, you need to find “User Accounts”, and click on the “Change account type” option that is listed below it.
- After this, select the account you want to change
and enter the “Change the account name” option listed on the left side of the window.
- In the newly opened window, type the account name that you want to use, press “Change Name” and that is pretty much it.
Another way you can change your Windows 10 account name is with Settings:
- In this method, you first need to type “Settings” in the Windows 10 “Search box”
and when the “Settings” appear in the results, left-click on them.
- When you do that, click on “Accounts”
and enter “Your info”.
- Go to “Manage my Microsoft account” and sign-in with your credentials (if possible).
- After that, enter “More actions”
and choose the “Edit profile” option.
- Go to “Edit name”,
change your “Account name”, enter the characters that you see on the picture to confirm that you are not the robot, press “Save” and now you only have to restart your machine in order for changes to have an effect.
One more way you can change your “Account name” is with the help of netplwiz:
- This option is also available in Control Panel, which requires you to type “netplwiz” in the “Search box”
and enter it when it appears in the results.
- After it appears, you need to go to “Users”, select the name that you want to change and click on “Properties”.
- In the newly opened window, type the “Account name” that you want to use and confirm it, by pressing “Apply”. After that, click “OK”, then “OK”, once again and the job of changing your “Account name” is finished.
The fourth and the last way you can change your “Account name” that is going to be explained in this guide is with the help of “Computer Management”.
- This process demands that you first type “Computer Management” in the Windows 10 “Search box”
and when the “Computer Management” appears in the results, click on it.
- After that, find the “System Tools” and expand them.
- Enter “Local Users and Groups” and then go to “Users”.
- Find the account that you want to change the “Account name”, right-click on it and select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- After that, select the “General” tab, enter the new “Account name” and press “Apply”. Confirm the changes by pressing “OK” and that is it.
Your Account name has been successfully changed.